Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thanksgiving in London


So here is a short re-cap of our American holiday in the UK. We were granted the day off from Saatchi, but everyone went in to work anyway while I stayed home to "watch" the turkey. I have never cooked a turkey before, so I did NOT want the responsibility of cooking it on my shoulders. It was put in the oven at 9am, and it was about 14 pounds so we figured it should be done around 2 or 3pm. At that point everyone was supposed to be back from Saatchi.

Turns out that Dave Dawkins, one of our main contacts at Saatchi, took everyone who was there out for some beers. And not just to the agency pub, but out to pubs in the neighborhood. So they all got tipsy while I freaked out at home because I didn't want to ruin the turkey (which I did, but more on that later). I also managed to lock myself IN our flat. Pure comedy in a time of needless over-reaction on my part. See, our flat has no real door knobs. And in order to lock and un-lock the door you need to use the key, from both inside and outside the flat. I had given my keys to Erica to use because she doesn't have any. And I didn't even realize till about an hour after she left that I had been inadvertently locked IN the flat.

So you can just imagine me in the flat, alone, worried about ruining the turkey (because I hate pressure) and downloading Christmas and jazz songs on Limewire to cheer myself up. Haha. The peeps finally call around 3:30 or so and tell me to cut into the top of the turkey to check if it is done. *GULP* God save us all, we are relying on Jenn! I cut into the top of it and to me it looks all white and cooked. So as told I take it out and wrap it in foil and leave it on the top of the stove and shut the stove off. Needless to say it wasn't all cooked. -slap forehead- *doh (in true Homeresque style)

We had enough ecoli-free (aka cooked) meat to enjoy for our big feast, but the chefs then took over and placed the remaining bird back into the oven and cooked it into the night. Long live left-overs! Word to the wise - keep the Jenn away from the kitchen...

No comments: