Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Throw me a Bone.

This past weekend we went to a church about 70 miles outside the city of Prague. It is called Kutna Hora, or as I like to call it The Bone Church. Why call it that you ask? I will show you... all in good time my dears, all in good time. First we had to wake up ass early on a Saturday, which I was not a fan of. Eric met some people on expats that were from CA but are now living in Prague (hey, that's just like us!). They said they had a car and were going to this church and asked if we would like to come along. Sure, a 70 mile car ride with people we never met in a country where we don't speak the language to go visit a place called The Bone Church - FAB idea! We're in.

The car ride was long, and being as it was early I fell asleep for most of it. But that's ok because this is pretty much all there was to see, give or take a few mini forests.

We then pull into the small town where the church is located, and it looks normal enough.

We spot the church. Your pretty average looking gothic church. From the outside anyway.

With your normal looking graveyard surrounding it.

With a pretty low key looking front door.

So we enter and pay our $1.25 entry fee and turn to walk down into the church, when we are greeted with this view

Where the fuck am I? Is there an Indiana Jones IV in the making that I don't know about?? Seriously creepy. These are REAL HUMAN BONES here people.


Even the lighting fixtures are bones! Check out the main chandelier,

And this candelabra

Even this Coat of Arms is made of bones.

Detail of the C of A - a bird pecking out the dude's eye? All made from human bones none the less.

Close up pics of the decoration:



They had four of these Mass Graves, one in each corner of the church. Damn - that's a lot of bones...


I feel that a little piece of myself was taken from... myself - see what I mean?


So there you have it. That's what a plague that kills way too many people will make people do, decorate the insides of churches with their remains.

3 comments:

Dayna said...

Wow! You thought Indiana Jones, I thought GOONIES!!! HEY YOU GUUUUYYSSS!!! Very cool, very cool!

Jenne said...

kutna hora is rad - i went there when i visited prague. the bone church is el dopest.

Anonymous said...

Cool photos. Made me think about our American culture. I think we really try to "hide" death when it happens. Other cultures not so much.