Monday, March 27, 2006

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Much overdue, I am now doing Part One of my Athens, Greece post. I am pretty interested in Greek myth and architecture, so there will be some fun and interesting facts to go along with the pictures :) Enjoy!

First off, my view from the plane. It was raining when I landed, so my first glance downward was that of... Clouds!

Ah, beautiful... the color of the water is breathtaking!


So I land and get my luggage and make my way to the Metro. My hostel is right near the Acropolis, so I ride the Metro to the Acropolis stop. When I surface, it is raining and I have to maneuver my rolling luggage on the "sidewalk" dodging holes and trees and oranges. Yes, oranges. The streets are lined with orange trees, and there are fallen fruits all over the place. Some cars are even dented by them! I find my way to the hostel and finally get all checked in. I then find out that everyone is going to a near by bar to hang out. It being a Saturday night, I join them. I met some girls that were on spring break from SDSU (small world) and a guy from Canada. (whom I release my charm on and he bought me all my drinks for the evening, hehe)

The next day, a Sunday, and all the attractions and museums in Athens are FREE!! Being the student that I am, I can't wait to take advantage of this great deal. But there are just a few problems. 1) It's raining out. 2) I left my umbrella in the office in Prague. So I put on my jacket with a hood and figure that it can't be raining THAT badly and that I'll be ok. WRONG! I get to the top of the Acropolis and I am soaked to the bone. Seriously. And it's raining so I can't get any good pictures because I have water spots on my camera lens. NO! So I go back to the hostel and peel off my clothes and lay them on the heater to dry. I guess I'll have to try again in the morning.

The next morning is beautiful - and I am off to the Acropolis again!


I had to pay this time, but whatever. Twelve euros for 5 archaeological sites. Not too bad. Plus, now I have a cool looking receipt that I can cherish forever.

The Acropolis!! (acropolis means upper city)



The entrance to the Acropolis, the Propylaea. Built in 432 BC. (And all the other people that got soaked the day before):




This structure is the Erecthion. It marks the spot where Poseidon and Athena had their contest over who would be the Patron of the city of Attica. Each god would offer something to the city, and then the citizens would choose which god gave the better gift. Poseidon thrust his trident into the rock and a spring burst fourth. Athena touched the ground with a spear and an olive tree grew. The citizens chose Athena - where does the best olive oil come from??

These figures are called "caryatids" - maidens that are holding up the structure.


The Parthenon!
Built in the 5th century BC - the Parthenon is probably the most recognizable structure in the world next to the golden arches of McDonalds. (darn you Ronald!) It was built to give thanks to and honor Athena - the Patron Goddess of the city.


This is the Theater of Herod Atticus. It was built by the Romans in 161 AD, and it is still used today.


And this is the ancient Theater of Dionysus. The first stone theater and home to Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripides and Aristophanes.



The city of Athens - view from the Acropolis...


So ends part One - stay tuned for the Ancient Agora!!

No comments: